Sunday, December 26, 2004

Whenever There Is Danger he'll be there...

I watched Spiderman 2 for the first time last night. It's not a very Christmassy film, but... well, Spiderman's suit is red like Santa's. And it had an elf in it. Well, a goblin. Ok, just the son of a goblin.

It's, for the most part, quite a sad film. I would have cried several times had I been on my own. Since I was with my parents, I held it back. Poor Peter Parker, just trying to do the right thing, and causing himself nothing but pain in the meantime.

I hadn't expected much from Doctor Octopus, but he was actually rather impressive (Spidey himself was still a little ropey (webby?) in a couple of shots though). He had big tentacles. Hush, I said "tentacles".

Does anybody remember when Spiderman teamed up with The Transformers? I'd like to see that in the third film.

Since proper spiders have eight legs, I'd also like Spiderman to rescue the drowned tentacles, attach them to himself, paint them red and look like an actual eight-limbed spider. And then I'd like him to go and kick the crap out of Megatron. Whilst on the subject - why didn't Optimus Prime just wait until Megatron turned into a gun, and then step on him? Or lock him in the drawer of a Police Captain? Instant Decepticon problem solved, world saved, job's a good 'un.

The film easily makes it into my top three of the year, along with Shaun of the Dead and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Normal people might have a top five films. I only have three due to not watching as many films recently as a normal person would have done.

2 comments:

Agent 31 said...

That is a most excellent top 3. I just saw Shawn of the Dead last night and I enjoyed it immensly.

To round out your top 5, I'd recommend Kill Bill Vol2 and The Incredibles. Both are fantastic cinema. Cinerama, even. Gedge would be proud.

Lint said...

I've seen (and enjoyed) KBv2, but not Hero. But it does seem a bit silly having a top five when I've only seen something like six films that came out this year. So I'm sticking to a top three.