Sunday, December 12, 2004

Lessons learnt from LOTR 1 to LOTR 3

I alluded yesterday to my intention to watch all three of the Lord of the Rings films back to back. Extended DVD versions. I have now done this and would like to say: My ass hurts.

Having said that, it's been good to see them in one go, even if you do need a spare eleven hour piece of your life to do it in. And if because of this nobody gets any Christmas cards on time this year, then I apologise.

Here are some things that I learnt from my experience today.

- Since I first saw Fellowship four years ago (hard to believe it's that long...) I have thought Elrond the Elf was being played by Sam Neill. Turns out that not only is Elrond played by the Hugo Weaving, but Mr Neill is not even in the films. I only realised this today. And it's not the first time I've made this kind of mistake.

- Don't have the following thought in your head when the hobbits are on screen at the same time as normal sized people: "It's just like Dennis Waterman in Little Britain." If you have this thought, you may find yourself laughing in unexpected places. I'd pretty much got over it by the end though.

- Eleven hours is an awfully long time to watch a film for. If you're thinking of doing this yourself, I recommend getting a life instead. Or at least some friends to watch them with. The only person with me was for the last film only, and I think he was asleep for half of it.

- Even if you get to the local shop quite early on a Sunday, they still don't have any good sandwiches left. Strange how it didn't occur to me to buy some bread and filling instead until just now (which is slightly too late).

- Liv Tyler: Yum.

And they complete my lessons from today. You may learn them too if you like.

5 comments:

Ludwig said...

Bah, who really cares about lessons? I'm gonna do exactly the same thing after X-mas (Christmas gift oblige) with my dad, and I don't care what people think! So gna! :P

asyl076 said...

I've entertained the idea of doing the same sort of marathon viewing myself, then realized I'd be sure to emerge from the theater room, not only with catlike senses, having been deprived of an entire day's worth of light, but also boyfriend-less with all my things packed up in boxes for me.

The only natural solution is to wait until his next business trip, so he won't know how capable I am of complete lethargy.

Lint said...

Guys: Do it. When in your life will you ever see an eleven hour film again? And it's worth it for the blank, amazed looks people give you at work next day when you tell them what you've done. People envy that many hours on a couch.

Chip said...

I half-noticed you saying this yesterday, but didn't follow through on the thought.

It's very hard to believe it's 4 years since you saw FotR, because it's only 3 years since it came out - Christmas 2001!

If you don't believe me, do reverse induction. RotK came out at Christmas 2003, rather than 2002, and the rest follows.

I was quite pleased you saved the Dennis Waterman comment till the end, and that I hadn't thought of it till then!

Lint said...

Yep, I realised the same thing yesterday myself. Classic fencepost error.

No wonder it was hard to believe it was that long.