Monday, December 27, 2004

Back to the Hills

The hills are smaller than I remember them.
As a child of fourteen, they seemed taller,
Higher and more problematic.
As a child of ten, I'd sledge down them,
In cold snow, on plastic sledges,
Or just plastic bags.
Now the hills just seem like slopes.
No challenge, no exertion.
The distances between places are also
Less than they used to be.
When I was a kid it took me at least ten minutes
To walk to Rich's house.
Today it was just five minutes.
It's as if the whole town has shrunk
Like a heated crisp packet,
And I've stayed the same size.
Bars have also shrunk - I remember
Not being able to see over them to order crisps
Or Coke, or peanuts.
That's not a problem anymore -
I stopped ordering Coke when the hills got small.

2 comments:

Lint said...

Um... probably.

Although mainly I think I was passing five minutes whilst being quite bored.

Lint said...

And I've now corrected the spelling in the title. Whoops.