Sunday, December 05, 2004

Blogs of the Dead

Most bloggers are mortal people, like myself. One day all of us will die, and write no more. However, in a lot of cases, the blogger will not know of his or her impending end, and so will not be able to inform their readers that they have "moved on".

Informing people that you are not dead is normally not necessary since the mere act of posting a post can only be done by alive people. You can deduce that at a time before 6pm today, I was not dead, because I have written these here words.

However, if I were to die this evening, you would not be able to determine this just from reading my blog. Likewise, if I find another person's blog that has not been updated for a while, with no explanation, I do not know if they are dead or just not writing.

Our own death is one of the most important events in our lives, and the majority of us will be unable to blog about it! Not very fair.

I think what is needed is some kind of dead man's trigger. All bloggers should have on their person a small transmitter that detects heartbeats. When the detector detects no more beats, it sends a signal to your Blogging package to publish a pre-prepared obituary and/or goodbye. This way, people would be have no uncertainty as to your deadness or aliveness.

Or alternatively, all bloggers should by law have to log on to a certain site every day to prove they are not dead. This site would be searchable by Blog Author and Blog Name, so if someone suspects you are dead they can just run a quick search and be sure.

But I wonder how many of the "dead blogs" (ie the ones that are no longer updated) out there are dead because their owner is actually dead? And are there any that are being updated by genuine dead people from beyond the grave?

No comments: