Friday, December 17, 2004

The Problem With Linen

Linen shirts: good or evil? Discuss.

I won't discuss for long. In general, I like linen shirts. Comfy, light and available in a variety of colours. However. They do have one drawback. After you've worn one for approximately ten minutes, it looks like you've been sleeping in it for the last fifteen years. Even if you just do nothing after putting one on but stand in the corner, alone, away from all possible disturbances, people will inevitably ask you "have you ironed that?". The only sensible answer is "not in the last ten minutes".

It's like there are (evil) linen shirt pixies who follow you around and whenever you turn away, wave pixie magic at you to form strange folds and creases in your clothes. I know I shouldn't believe in pixies at my age, but with evidence like this, surely nobody can prove me wrong.

Now clearly, it is not practical to carry an iron around with you all day to conduct shirt flattening activities whenever they are needed. And it would also be impractical to either a) remove one's shirt to iron it at frequent intervals through the day/night; or b) iron one's shirt whilst wearing it at frequent intervals through the day/night. So I'm really not sure what people are supposed to do with the damn things.

Surely it should be within the reach of modern fabric technology to create non-creasing linen? There's definitely a market out there for it.

Or maybe I'm missing the point and it's supposed to look like a stampede of mad horses has traipsed over you.

Any tips on this one would be appreciated.

1 comment:

Bertworld said...

two comments.
1. You dont need to bother ironing them in the first place if they will get creased anyway! Bonus!
2. I though that was the point of linen clothes so that people know you're wearing linen. Thats what seems to happen with linen suits.

I like linen!