Sunday, December 19, 2004

A Sunday afternoon not spent lounging

This afternoon it was a Sunday afternoon, like what it is most times at this time of time. Last Sunday afternoon (and evening) I just stayed in and watched hobbits on telly. This week I went out into the actual world for a free gig. At Fibbers (again) doors opened at midday. It was strange to enter in daylight and leave in darkness. That is not uncommon on summer evenings, but I don't normally experience it in winter - normally it's enter in the dark and leave in the dark.

Playing today that I wanted to see were Four Day Hombre (Acoustic). They were, as ever, excellent. I seem to say that a lot about them. They managed to make an awful lot of noise for an acoustic gig. "First Word" today merged into a cover of Jeff Buckley's "Last Goodbye" rather than the usual Kate Bush. It gave me shivers.

FDH were supporting a chap called Jason Feddy who as far as I can tell is a Yorkshireman currently domiciled in California. I think he used to be big on the local scene here, but then for Reasons, went away.

It was very busy for a Sunday afternoon - busier than many evenings that I've been to at Fibbs. It was also clearly filled with Fans Of Jason. People who knew all the words, and were singing along at often intervals. At times when he had the crowd singing along, it felt like being at a Robbie Williams concert. He did have on his side the fact that he was really good though. He was also very funny between songs. "I realised that through all the times of misery and nightmare in my life, there was one common denominator. It was me".

He played for getting on two hours, which if it had been an evening, would have been too much for me at my time of attention span. But since it was an afternoon, he managed to get away with it. Being good helped too.

However, since it was well past four when he finished, I have lost another opportunity for Christmas shopping. I suspect I'm going to be busy on Thursday and Friday this week.

No comments: