Thursday, December 16, 2004

File Security

We received some brand new lockable cabinets at work yesterday that we can lock up our files securely in overnight. These replace the old non-lockable open shelves we had before. This has meant that we've had to empty all the old cabinets so they can be removed. Soon we will have to go through all the old files and work out which ones are still needed and which ones can be binned. Since the majority of them pre-date most people in the team, I am expecting a lot of binning. That sounds like a "Week Before Christmas Task" if ever there was one.

One of the new cabinets is right by my desk, whilst the others are a bit further away - ie I would have to get off my chair to get to them. I have managed to claim the one by me to put my folders in to. Even better, I have also persuaded our secretary that it should also be our stationery cabinet. So I won't have to leave my desk to get my folders or new pens.

Boss: You seem to have ended with things placed very conveniently for you ____?
Me: Yes. You know why that is?
Boss: Because you're lazy?
Me: Yes. No. It's so that I don't waste time fetching things and so can do more work.
Boss: Hah. It's because you're lazy isn't it?
Me: yes.

Life would be sweet if there wasn't a desk re-org coming up which will no doubt leave me further from my things and my new pens than ever before.

1 comment:

asyl076 said...

My money's on your new desk being placed across town, where you have to play an elaborate game of telephone just to requisition a post-it note from said secretary.