Thursday, December 02, 2004

No Three in a Series of Three

Earlier in the year, I'd mentioned that Neal Stephenson had made reference to the actuarial profession in his books Quicksilver and The Confusion. I'm now reading the third and final book in the sequence, The System Of The World, and he has very kindly put in a third reference for me:

"How much harm could a stiff drink possibly do you, at this stage of the game?" asked Roger Comstock, the Marquis of Ravenscar. "You and I are already off the charts of the Royal Society's annuity tables-- living affronts to the Actuarial Profession."

Three references in three books. Well done Sir.

5 comments:

Chip said...

Could you please punctuate this post's title better? It makes no logical sense without the full stop after No!

Comstock again?! Does he only know 3 surnames?

Lint said...

Yep, Comstock, Waterhouse, Shaftoe. All related I think.

Unlike Enoch Root who's just the same actual person in all four books.

Lint said...

Oh, and I could change the post title, but then your comment would not make sense and I'd have to delete it. And then my previous comment would not make sense, and I'd have to delete that, and I don't know where it would all end.

I'd probably have to delete the whole internet.

Chip said...

Now, now, don't be silly.

Bertworld said...

Kate Atkinsons Human Croquet has an actuary character in it. Suffice to say he is middle aged and boring. Such role-models we have to live up to!