Sunday, October 24, 2004

Wedding

Yet again I have been away this weekend, back to The Dirty South for the wedding of a friend from university. Since he and his new wife are Sri Lankan, the wedding had some degree of Sri Lankenness. Firstly, there were lots more speeches than is normal, since it seems anyone from either family who wants to make a speech is allowed to make a speech. Or possibly put on a slide show. The other main manifestation of Sri-Lankenness was that the dinner was (a selection of) curry.

It is quite possible that since I have never been to a similar wedding before, these things are not in fact traditional or usual.

I saw some good friends that I've not seen for a few years, and one that I hadn't seen or heard from for around 9 years. That may seem like a long time to not have any contact with a friend for, and you'd be right. If I knew people that I had no contact with for that long, then I would fully expect for them to cross me off their Christmas card list, and for them to state to the world: "That non-contacting person is no longer a friend of mine".

However, she had not had cause to make this statement, since I had slightly exaggerated the strength of our friendship above. Perhaps what I should have said was that "I renewed my acquaintance with a foxy girl I met once, for a single evening, 9 years ago in The Fountain Inn, Cambridge". That would have been more accurate. I think it's fair to say that since we have now spent two evenings together in the whole of our short lives, we are at least twice as good friends today, than we were last week.

Anyway, after much dancing (possibly including some dancing to bhangra), much wine, and much frolicking, I eventually got to a state of sleep. I was definitely appreciative that I had a room in the hotel where the reception was held. Taxis or buses would have been far too complicated.

Now I am lots of tired, and so even though it has just passed seven pm, I fully intend to go to bed shortly.

No comments: