Monday, October 04, 2004

A review of a gig what I went to last night (17)

Some weekends are definitely sillier than other ones. Two incidents in particular were very silly this weekend and I shall refer to them only as "The Incident With The Pretty Girl And The Spoon" and "The Travis Incident". And I shall speak no more of them here. And you'll need to get me really drunk to hear about either of them at all.

So leaving those behind, I went to see Seafood last night at Fibbers. That's Seafood who for some reason tend to get called "The Mighty Seafood" quite a lot. A fair enough epithet. But before I talk about them, let's "do" the supports! First on was KT Tunstall who is a lady with a backing band. Good smokey jazz club vibe, and a nice usage of handclaps. Also the best use I've seen this year of a metal dustbin lid and tambourine combination. Who says innovation is dead?

Then it was time for Team. Pretty awful name, but decently entertaining guitar rock. They had a penchant for appearing to be doing line dancing with guitars at a few points. I don't think they take themselves too seriously. They had a bald man with a big beard.

And Seafood were great. Maybe not quite as good as some of the earlier gigs around the time of "Surviving the Quiet" (Them were the days...) but still special. Other bands named after food are Eels, Lambchop and Cake. Hmmm. Not one of my better band reviews. I really don't know why I even start to bother.

Tonight in Fibbers there was again only 1 actuary so an AR(SE) score of only 1.0 can be given, however mighty they are. Also in Fibbers there were zero bears - definitely a good thing. Here's the table

5.0: Puressence
4.5: Trachetenburg Family Slideshow Players
3.5: Easyworld / Snow Patrol 1 / Graham Coxon / Keane / The Brakes
3.0: The Open 2 / Thirteen Senses
2.5: Four Day Hombre 1 / Snow Patrol 2
2.0: Delays / Athlete / Dawn of the Replicants
1.5: The Ordinary Boys
1.0: The Open 1 / J. Richman / Four Day Hombre 2 / Simon & Garfunkel / Seafood

I'm a bit wary of saying who I'm seeing next as the last two bands I've claimed I was seeing next have ended up not happening for one reason and another. So... Hopefully it'll be David Devant & His Spirit Wife on Friday. At Fibbers... again.

3 comments:

Agent 31 said...

Eels aren't necessarily food. They're more of an animal that can potentially be food if you're fast enough. That's like saying Fine Young Cannibals are named after food. (Since, they themselves would consider themselves food.)

What about Pearl Jam or Green Jelly?

Lint said...

I believe that Jellied Eels are quite popular in Cockney London. I've never seen them play live though.

Other musical food and drink: Bread, Oasis, and um... Super Furry Animals. Well you can eat some furry animals. Maybe ones with super powers should be avoided though in case they fight back...

Chip said...

You have such unlikely-to-occur requirements for telling us the stories that I imagine we will never know.