Saturday, October 09, 2004

A review of a gig what I went to last night (18)

We went to Fibbers for a gig last night (and they let me in too). Who had I gone to see? I'll leave that as a surprise for later. Don't you love surprises?

There was a chap I know who we knew was going to be attending so I was looking out for him through the early part of the evening. I hadn't spotted him myself, but I was confidently told that he was sitting down over in the front corner. Since from where I was standing I could not see said corner, I took this on trust. I wandered over to say hello, stood in front of the table he was supposed to be sitting on, and stared at all four people sat there. They stared back at me. I knew none of them. I kind of opened my mouth and closed it again then turned round and walked embarassingly back to where I had come from. I think I had confused the strangers a bit. I later found the chap I knew at the back of the room playing table football where he had been all evening.

The first band of the evening were The Stimulagos. What sort of a name is that then? I'm pretty sure that there were six of them, but there was some dispute about this. However many of them there were, I thought they sounded like Placebo. First cover version of the evening: "High and Dry" by Radiohead. In the style of Placebo.

Then on to Ryan Shirlow and the Bloody Marys. It was much easier to count the people this time as we'd moved on to the stairs which gave a little elevation. There were three of them. Of the backing band, only one was likely to have been called Mary. The other one (the drummer) looked like Johnny Vegas. Maybe that look is in this Autumn. They opened with the second cover of the evening. A rather cool, slightly scary version of "Stand By Me". The remaining songs were good but I haven't remembered anything about any of them.

Now it's time to end the suspense and name the headline act. It was... David Devant and his Spirit Wife. Last seen playing Fibbers back in 1996. I don't expect it's changed much except for a bit of new paint here and there. DDAHSW are famed for being as much performance art as music. There are tales of bizarre stage antics involving food and glitter. However, tonight (and maybe all the time now for all I know) they seemed to be focusing entirely on the music. Except at the start where they handed out balloons and gave a slide show on how to produce a balloon dog. Here's my effort:



It didn't have a head at the gig as the instructions got a bit confusing - I formed that when I got home. He's a happy little puppy and has been running around the flat all day. I enjoyed the band. And there was a good atmosphere there too. And I had lollipops.

Last night in Fibbers there were 3 actuaries and no trainees. There was the aforementioned boyfriend of a trainee, but he scores zero. So the total score is 3.0

5.0: Puressence
4.5: Trachetenburg Family Slideshow Players
3.5: Easyworld / Snow Patrol 1 / Graham Coxon / Keane / The Brakes
3.0: The Open 2 / Thirteen Senses / David Devant
2.5: Four Day Hombre 1 / Snow Patrol 2
2.0: Delays / Athlete / Dawn of the Replicants
1.5: The Ordinary Boys
1.0: The Open 1 / J. Richman / Four Day Hombre 2 / Simon & Garfunkel / Seafood

Next gig is uncertain. Possibly Tramp Attack, The Basement or Cherry Falls. We'll see how things go.

No comments: