Wednesday, October 06, 2004

First batch of photos

Time to get excited - here's the first batch of photos you've requested. Just click on them to get access to higher resolution versions. First of all, two for Mr Avenger (He has two since he was first to ask).

Photo #1
The Liberal Avenger asked for: "The view outside your front door. (What you see when you step out your front door)". So here's the photo!



This is actually what I would see when I step out of my front door, but with the door closed and looking through the peephole. I didn't want the neighbours to think I was weird or something, which they might have done if they saw me taking a photo of their front door. The door on the left-hand wall leads to the stairway which you can go through to get outside. The light is on, and sometimes buzzes a bit, but the buzzing doesn't really come across in the picture.

Photo #2
The Liberal Avenger also asked for: "Your bathroom as it appears now without straightening up". Here's the photo!



I sat on the floor in my hallway to take this one. For some reason the camera has done a strange fore-shortening effect and made the room seem a bit smaller than it really is. In particular, there is more room between the toilet and the door normally. The heated towel rail on the right-hand wall is not turned on. By the bottom right corner of the door you can see the corner of my bathroom scales. Also notice that the door is wide open. I normally close it if I go inside. As requested, I did no tidying or cleaning at all before taking the photo.

Photo #3
Heather S asked for: "Your biggest neighbourhood celebrity". Here's your photo!



Yes, it's local actress, Dame Judi Dench! I was lucky to get this one. I went for a jog this evening with my camera, just on the off chance that I might bump into a celebrity or two. As I was running along the river, I spotted a familiar face on the riverside path. "Judi! Judi!" I cried. "Hello young man" she said. "How can I help you tonight?". "Please let me take your photo for Heather S of Canada" I said. "Ok, I'd be glad to help" she said. And she was!

Coincidentally, it was on the path named after her that I bumped into her. I suspect she just hangs around there because it makes better photos if she gets her sign in the shot. This photo was taken at the bottom of the steps that go along the river, near the base of Lendal Bridge. You can tell it's really in York, as you can see the Minster in the background - I haven't just taken a photo of Judi off the net and combined it with a picture of York Minster using Photoshop. Honestly.

Photo #4
And finally for today, Maine asked for: "The tallest man in the world". I'm always happy to oblige:



This is indeed the world's tallest man. I took this out towards the edge of York where the skyscrapers gradually start to give way to fields. One of the problems of being tall is that it can be very hard to find a hat that fits. This gentleman's top hat is a bit on the large side. He is lucky it hasn't fallen down over his eyes and prevented him from seeing where he's going. He could knock a building over if that happened!

You can see a couple of the sights of York here. By the intersection is the British Embassy. And over the road from there is York City football ground, where there appears to be a match being played. Out on the hills you may just be able to make out yet another bear heading into town.

Well, I hope these have been useful and insightful for you. There will be more to come, probably at the weekend, so it's not too late for more requests. I still have plenty of film left in the camera.

4 comments:

asyl076 said...

ah hahahahaha. That's brilliant! I must think up some suggestions now, rather than infesting comments with meaningless nonsense!

Lint said...

It's a really excellent camera. Very easy to use, takes great photos and it cost under two hundred pounds!

Agent 31 said...

That camera is frickin' awesome. Where'd you get that shit? The future?

Lint said...

I bought it on eBay. It was a ferocious bidding battle, I can tell you! I'm rather pleased with it.