Tuesday, March 15, 2005

TPS

There's something that I've been meaning to do for a while, which I have now just done. I have finally got around to registering with the Telephone Preference Service. With a bit of luck, it will stop at least some of the many, many random telemarketing calls that I get.

I find junk telephone calls are much more irritating than junk mail or even spam - I think mainly because every time it happens, it involves the phone ringing which is quite distracting. And then I might have to speak to someone. Urggh. At least with junk mail you get the warm feeling that comes when you receive some post.

The numbers of these calls seem to have increased noticeably over the last six months or so, and they've also been coming at more inconvenient times - after nine at night, or before eight in the morning. I reckon I get at least two or three a day. I have now stopped answering the phone at all unless it displays a number. I had one just after I got home tonight and just swore at the phone rather than answering it. Maybe I should have answered it and sworn at the phoner instead. But that wouldn't have been very friendly.

Anyway, it'll take up to a month for it to take full effect, and I suspect that even then I'll still get calls from over the big pond where UK law is not so respected. But I won't answer the phone. No. I won't.

No comments: