Thursday, March 10, 2005

My Filing System

I often joke that the paper bin next to my desk is my filing system (Yes, I'm that funny), and it's true that it does act as a fine place to store documents, especially if they are not going to be needed in the near future. In general, if I have a piece of paper more than a day old, I'm likely to have forgotten what it was for in the first place so it may as well go to special filing.

But sometimes this system can work as an actual storage and retrieval system.

A couple of guys came over earlier to ask me about some figures I'd produced. I was aware that I had produced these, and was also aware that I'd passed them to special filing a few hours previously. Hence I was able to stand up, remove the lid from the bin and reach in to quickly retrieve the numbers they wanted. I could tell they were impressed. And slightly confused.

Afterwards I replaced the figures where they'd come from.

No comments: