Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Challenge #5: PROMOTE - Complete!

One of my challenges this year was to try and get promoted at work. I'd kind of hoped that this would be a pretty easy challenge that would just involve me waiting around until someone came along to me and said "Well done! It's time you were bumped up, my lad!". But there comes a time when you realise that that isn't going to happen. And so we reach a new era of Pro-Active Career Management. Making things happen rather than waiting for the world to happen to me.

A few weeks ago I found an internal job advert. It would be working for my old boss in an area that should be pretty interesting over the next couple of years. And it would be at a higher grade (which is the important bit for the purposes of this challenge). So after some thought I figured I might as well go for it. After all, the worst that could happen would be that I'd not get it and would end up doing my current job which I quite enjoy. And I'd at least get some interview experience.

On Thursday morning last week, I had an interview. It was entirely competency based, which I wasn't particularly pleased about. I really dislike competency based interviews (CBIs). I'll probably write a big long rant about them at some point. But anyway, somehow I got through it (Q: "How do I personally demonstrate the difference between acceptable and unacceptable behaviour to people I work with?" A: BY SHOUTING AT THEM).

And then on Friday afternoon I was told that I had the job. I'm not sure when I start or indeed about many of the other details, but I am now officially going to be an Actuary rather than an Assistant Actuary. Pah! I spit on Assistant Actuaries. Losers. They can shine my big black boots. The Power Trip starts here.

Go me!

3 comments:

Bertworld said...

Congrats Lint. You'll have to give me all the news.

Tim said...

congrats man!

Jaq said...

Congrats, Lint. V happy that you achieved one of your challenges.