Saturday, March 12, 2005

College Dinner

Friday night was my old college's Annual Dinner in the North, held for the second year running at St William's College, York. Last year there were around six or so youngsters (under 30s) and I'd expected a similar number this year. However, there were not quite so many... The alumni officer claimed that they'd all "moved away" since last year.

After the drinks reception, we headed to dinner, and then had the usual fund raising spiel. They're currently in the midst of a massive building project, putting up new student rooms, an admin centre and also a new auditorium and associated bits. It should all look pretty good when it's finished, and based on the photographs they showed us, it looks to have developed a lot since last year. Though it still looks mainly like building site. There's a webcam which you can view progress on. And you can even watch time lapse movies of each day of building!

The Master recognised me from last year and said to the waitress: "Don't give this man any wine!" as she was pouring my wine. He was joking, of course, and she either realised this or was just delinquent, as she carried on pouring.

Over dinner I learnt some things about what's going on in the university (interesting), some things about the Japanese language (interesting) and some things about rowing (not interesting). The food was pie and I had second helpings. It was nice, and I was hungry.

The Master said that they may have it somewhere different next year - not in York. Possibly Durham, or somewhere on the west side of the north of the country. Not sure if I'll go if I have to travel and do hotels, but... never say never.

No comments: