Sunday, August 08, 2004

When in Rome...

When we reached Rome it was really exciting to see these posters stuck up everywhere:




The legendary duo, Simon & Garfunkel, where playing a free concert outside the Colluseum, the following evening (when we were still in Rome!) - totally fabulous timing! I hadn't actually realised that the two of them had sorted out whatever differences they've had for the past thirty years, let alone that they had embarked on a world tour (of which this was the final date).

The stage was at the far end of Via Del Fori Imperiali, directly in front of the Colluseum. It was a full moon, and they came on just as the moon started to show above the ancient stadium. Cool! 600,000 people were there going right back up the road and into side streets. Must be the biggest crowd I've ever been in. We did actually leave a little early (and it wasn't easy to do!) as we were worried that getting a taxi or onto the Metro would be hard with a crowd that size (apparently it wasn't - some others stayed to the very end and got home fine).

We couldn't really see the band themselves, but we did have a good view of the video screens. They sounded great. They did most of the songs you'd want them to (loved "Hazy Shade of Winter"), they had The Everley Brothers come on part way through for a few songs, and everyone was having a totally fantastic time.

I would be surprised if I was the only actuary there, but since I can prove nothing, S&G will have to join the base of the AR(SE) table. I'll update it later in the week after Wednesday's gig.

On the subject of Rome, I was disappointed by the meals we had. Maybe it would have been an idea to actually take the guidebook I'd borrowed and use it to direct us to some of the better, less tourist orientated restuarants. I'm sure there must be at least one good place to eat in a city of that size!

1 comment:

Bertworld said...

I was disappointed with the food in Rome, very touristy stuff. I said after that i regularly have better Italian food in York!