Sunday, August 29, 2004

Pub talk

Four actuaries in a pub on a Saturday night. What do they talk about? Here, in no particular order, are some of the conversation topics:

- Should any series of books longer than a trilogy be banned? Should there be different rules for the case when it is a single story being told over several books? What if each physical book is divided into two or more 'books'?
- The merits of Perl as a programming language.
- CNPS. There's always CNPS.
- Sexual positions that would be appropriate for use in a toilet.
- The relatively large size of the toilets at work, especially the disabled ones that have extra things to hang on to. And the extent to which the toilets are soundproofed (not very in my opinion).
- How C++ got its name.
- The CD single release of "Is it 'cos I'm cool?" by Mousse T feat. Emma Lanford. Whoever she is...
- Hasn't it got busy in here all of a sudden?
- Where in the Peak District we should go for a walk on Monday
- The baseball system of summarising how well you've got along with a girl. And an attempt to clarify the relative positions of first and third base. And whether a home run will always lead to a baby. I still feel that further work is needed here.
- The title of the new Star Wars film (very briefly).
- Some other things that I have not bothered to remember. Hopefully they weren't important.

Bet you wish you'd been there with us now.

3 comments:

Chip said...

Well I'm glad I came up with some others! I'd written my post before reading yours.

Here's a few more :

- Whether or not your friend Marlon was having a stag do.
- The merits of buying 2 tickets to a Christmas party in the hope of acquiring a girlfriend in time.
- The differences and similarities between Jeff Buckley and Steve Backley.
- What Iasonas should do for his upcoming 10,000th day on the planet.

Tsuki said...

The toilets are certainly not soundproof. I was sitting minding my own business in one, and all I could hear was someone talking on their mobile about their night out in the next one. VERY distracting.

Lint said...

I've really never understood people who have phone conversations in toilets. Especially the ones who do it whilst actually using the toilet. Very disturbing. And surely the people on the other end of the phone can detect the echoey-ness that can only be due to having a conversation in the loo?