Friday, August 27, 2004

Stairs can be tricky

I've found that I have an occasional problem with the stairs at work. I work on the fifth floor, and sometimes I go down to the third floor to see people. This is fine, it's nice to get a change of scenery from time to time, even if the third floor looks very similar to the fifth floor (which it does). It does have different people on it.

If I've been to the third floor, I normally have four options:
1) Return to the fifth floor using a lift.
2) Return to the fifth floor using the stairs.
3) Leave the building and go somewhere more exciting.
4) Go somewhere else in the building that is not the fifth floor.

I shall dwell not on options 3 or 4 for they are of no concern today.

Option 1 is quite straightforward. I get in the lift, press 5, wait a short while, get out and then return to my desk. Job's a good 'un.

Option 2 is where I have problems. Sometimes I choose to use the stairs, but then get confused or distracted part way up and I end up getting off on the wrong floor (ie the fourth floor). This is a little embarassing. Typically, it will take me a few steps to realise that I am on the wrong floor, as they do all look very similar. I mentioned that earlier. By this time, people have noticed I am around, so it would look a bit silly if I turned straight back into the stairwell. People would realise that I am incapable of counting two flights of stairs.

So instead, I have to make a show of walking determinedly to anywhere, pretending to look for someone who isn't there, then making a small face of disappointment, before finally striding on to either another stairwell, or the lift. I can then get to the fifth and pretend nothing went wrong.

But I know that something went wrong, and that I've ballsed up the simplest of tasks. Irritating. But I get away with it.

2 comments:

Sarum said...

Getting out of the lift on the wrong floor is bad too...
coming to a halt a few paces out, and turning around just as everyone still in the lift watches the door close behind you...

Chip said...

What about secret option no. 5?

5) Leave teh building and go somewhere *i* less exciting */i*? (Stupid tag-free comments.)