Thursday, August 26, 2004

Take a headshot

I'm going to be in my company's graduate brochure again. Or possibly just on the website, I'm not sure if we even still have a physical brochure these days. The reason for me being on it, despite being graduated for seven years, is that I'm a "shining example of a young actuary" (my words).

I've actually been on the website for a few years already, but at the moment there is no photo. Now they have decided to add photos. Headshots only. And they've given us a choice - either let the girl that's organising the thing take a new photo, or we can provide a photo of our own. I'm not sure what kind of background we're allowed to have on, but I'm going to have a look through my digi-photos and see if I have anything suitable. Or maybe just play around with my camera at the weekend.

There must be some scope for causing mishief here... maybe get something very subtle into the photo that shouldn't really be there, like an advert for a competitor, or maybe a lonely hearts ad. Obviously, being highly professional, I would never do anything like that intentionally, but you know how sometimes these things just happen...

I was in the paper brochure after I first started work. This was back before the internet was the all-powerful omnipresent beast it is now. I expect Patrick is still jealous that they chose me to go in rather than him. If I'd only known then what I know now about how that brochure would go on to devastate my life, perhaps I'd have refused the cup that was offered me. But I didn't refuse. I drank, and drank deep, and it changed me for ever.

Oh, hang on, no it didn't I was thinking of something else. Someone else. All that changed for me was I had "Hello! Do you recognise me from the graduate recruitment brochure" as a conversational line. Generally the response was "No".

No comments: