Sunday, August 22, 2004

Killers and Weddings

A chorus:

"Well somebody told me
That you had a boyfriend
Who looked like a girlfriend
That I had in February
Of last year
It's not confidential
I've got potential..."

From "Somebody told me" by The Killers. From Las Vegas. Great song, but I really have zilcho idea what it's on about. Possibly the singer's ex-girlfriend has had a sex change and is now going out with a girl the singer fancies?

Great album too for the most part.

I got a wedding invitation the other day. I had originally thought that they had forgotten to put the details of the reception on it, but it turns out that they had, just in a slightly odd place. It was an odd invite in that you had to pull things out of other things and there was string. Not the best description, but take it from me that it was complex. The reception thing says "No gifts". I'm unsure what this means:

a) Do not bring the happy couple ANY gifts or presents at all.
b) Do not bring any cheap tacky gifts.
c) Do not bring gifts to the reception, but there feel free to buy things from a wedding list which we'll give you the details of separately.
d) No gifts, but cash and all major credit cards accepted.
e) Guests at the reception should not expect to receive any gifts.

I dunno, weddings are so complicated these days. Maybe it'll be one of those times where you just pin money to the bride like in a weird lapdancing club. Or stuff it into her bridal veil, or indeed "somewhere else". I'll interpret it as a) above I think. Seems easiest.

5 comments:

Chuck Rightmire said...

Actually, in the old slavic wedding receptions (which sometimes went on for days) in my part of the country, you pinned the money to the wedding dress in order to dance with the bride. They had a lot of pins on hand.

asyl076 said...

Been stuck on that song for a while. Good choice!

iasonas said...

At Greek weddings you pin money to the bride and/or bridegroom instead of buying presents. And you give the band money (a note) if you dance with any of the wedding party alone on the dance floor... or they take a request from you. Also, if you're a witness at the wedding then you usually get the brothers/cousins come round to hassle you for another amount of money, as a gesture to the fact that you're getting free food and alcohol for the night. No credit cards, though. Cash only -- usually non-sequential, used notes.

Chip said...

"No" is an ancient Japanese form of theatre - perhaps they wanted you to buy a picture of a pagoda which can be used as a backdrop to their wedding photos.

Lint said...

Personally, I don't think pins, drunk wedding guests and brides make a very good combination. Ouch!