Wednesday, September 22, 2004

A review of a gig what I went to tonight (16)

Later on I will answer the following question: What happens if you mix The Electric Soft Parade with British Sea Power? But first, why I am crap (volume 84).

I am a complete doofus. If ever evidence was needed, consider the following. I have been to a gig this evening. I'd aranged to meet a girl prior to the gig in a nearby pub. The pub in question has two whole rooms - one front, one back. I got there early and sat in the front room on the basis that I'd see everyone who entered. Then sat there on my own for a long time. After about twenty minutes, Chris turned up so I chatted to him. Just before we left, about another twenty minutes later, young lady emerged from the back room where she had been on her own the whole time, having got there earlier than even me. Her room had been better than mine, since it had decent music and other people, compared to the complete silence and no other people in mine. Doofus.

On to tonight's music:

Three bands tonight. First up, all the way from Los Angeles, Goldn. Not great spelling there for a first impression. Musically ok, although hinging on the side of 90s poodle rock slightly. The singer was a bit hot, bless, and had to first remove a jacket, and later a shirt. Sadly he was a boy.

Then, Four Day Hombre. What can I say about FDH that I haven't said before... That they have single-handedly written every number one single of the last three years (false)? That they were the first band to eat sherbert fountains on Top Of The Pops (false)? That their drummer is the only person to have been sacked from Oasis twice (also false)? That their singer has grown some facial hair (true but not hugely exciting)? No, nothing more can be said. They're great though. And tonight was the first time I've seen them where they haven't played "The first word...".

Headlining tonight, we have The Brakes. Made up of Tom and Alex from ESP, Eamon from British Sea Power, and Another Bloke On Bass. Some observations: Eamon is not the artist whio recently had a hit by swearing a lot (-5 points). Alex was wearing a Terris t-shirt (+30 points). Eamon looks like a thin Phil Collins (-10 points). They are 15 points up before they start playing.

I do respect any band who are both lazy enough and brazen enough to do really short songs. Two tonight came in at around 30 seconds, including one that they billed as the current single. One song was around 5 seconds long. What was the music like you ask? I'd say I enjoyed it on for the most whole part. Not as good as either of the component bands, but Tom ESP looked like he was having a good time. If you really want to know what they sound like, I'm sure the old internet can aid you.

Tonight in Fibbers there were 3 actuaries and 1 actuarial trainee who could potentially have qualified, but she still only counts as a half. The Brakes score 3.5, a score now officially as popular as "1.0".

5.0: Puressence
4.5: Trachetenburg Family Slideshow Players
3.5: Easyworld / Snow Patrol 1 / Graham Coxon / Keane / The Brakes
3.0: The Open 2 / Thirteen Senses
2.5: Four Day Hombre 1 / Snow Patrol 2
2.0: Delays / Athlete / Dawn of the Replicants
1.5: The Ordinary Boys
1.0: The Open 1 / Jonathan Richman / Four Day Hombre 2 / Simon & Garfunkel

Next up will be The Wonderstuff over in Leeds. Cow Size!

3 comments:

Chip said...

Isn't 3.5 more popular than 1.0? I count 5 and 4 respectively.

And what's going on with the time on your post?

Lint said...

Um... Simon and Garfunkel count as two? Snow Patrol 1 were only supporting someone else?

Lint said...

No, don't worry, it's just a side-project.