Monday, September 06, 2004

Going Nowhere

I'd been wanting to head over to Leeds tonight to see Motu One do their first headline set in that city. But last night I slept like a fish, ie barely. Maybe an hour. Not really sure why it wasn't working, just one of them things maybe. So I was dog-tired when I headed off to work and ended up having a couple of Pro-Plus to tide me over. Don't know if they helped, but I didn't fall asleep under my desk.

Reasons why your bank account looks far too healthy number one: You've forgotten to pay your credit card bill. I've never done that before. Whoops.

So instead of Leeds, it's time to skip the Monday pub quiz and have an early night. I had a quiz yesterday anyway. We didn't win, but that was no surprise as we were just two people. Beating the adjacent team of eleven people by three whole points was something of a result. Idiots, they must have been. I realised how little I know about how cheese is made. What flavourings go into it? How does Double Gloucester come out differently from Red Leicester? Why is Wensleydale crumblier than Cheddar? And what is the point of Brie?

Reasons why your bank account looks far too healthy number two: You still haven't paid your Institution of Actuaries fees. But six hundred pounds... It's daylight robbery. Even when it's getting dark outside like it is now.

The days do seem to be drawing in more quickly than normal this year. I expect it's that global warming that they keep going on about. Whatever happened to acid rain? I remember back in the 80s that acid rain was a real problem. It was going to dissolve all the churches and corrode every monument. But they still seem to be here. Did they just put a special alkaline coating on everything? Perhaps all the churches did dissolve, and all we have now are replicas. Filled with replica priests doing replica sermons to replica congregations of people with authentic replica digital watches. Too much fake piety.

Reasons why your bank account looks far too healthy number three: You are still too lazy to attempt your 2003/2004 tax return. Come on laddo, it takes half an hour. I think it's just the knowledge that it's going to cost me money this year. That and good old-fashioned laziness.

Lying awake last night did have a couple of advantages. Radio 2 seems bizzarely good in the early hours of the morning. A mixture of great retro stuff and great new stuff. They played the new REM single a couple of times, and the new one from Thirteen Senses, who I am finally going to see live at the weekend. That was live with an "eye" sound, not a "little-i" sound. But I expect they will live too.

Apparently my brother-in-law knows the drummer from Razorlight. Just thought I'd share that one with you.

1 comment:

Bertworld said...

I havent even considered doing my tax return yet, probably will do in January. Again!