Saturday, March 13, 2004

A review of a gig what I went to last night (6)

This is the first Saturday for several weeks where I have been up and out of bed before 10am. Inc-redible.

I was never a huge fan of Blur - there was something in their sound that never quite gelled with me, although they did obviously bang out a few classic songs from time to time. And some rubbish ones too (Hello "Beetlebum"). Their lead guitarist, one Graham Coxon, left the band a couple of years ago to pursue a solo career. He was playing in York last night so I went along, though didn't really expect much from him. But I was wrong - he was great! I knew the new single was great (which is the only solo song of his that I'd heard) but was very pleasantly surprised by the rest of them. Almost felt like a whole set of Blur playing "Song 2" and "Popscene", which if you're in the mood for it makes a great punk-pop evening.

Great support band too. Bloc Party. I'd never heard of them, but they were good fun in an At The Drive In / The Fall kind of way. Forever!

At York Fibbers last night were at least: 2 actuaries and 3 actuarial trainees. Which gives an AR(SE) factor of 3.5, so giving a (joint) top of the table position. Here's the table:

3.5: Easyworld / Snow Patrol 1 / Graham Coxon
2.5 Four Day Hombre / Snow Patrol 2
2.0: Delays / Athlete

Next up The Open at the end of the month.

No comments: