Friday, March 26, 2004

Fancy a brew?

I mentioned a while ago that this day was coming, and here it is: The final day that that the joyous duo, Mark and Lard are on Radio 1. Both are moving to new stations, Mark Radcliffe to late night Radio 2 and Marc Riley to 6Music. They've given me many happy faces during their time on the radio. The old ten til midnight slot got me through university. I think I wrote a letter to them once, but never sent it. No recollection now what it was about, but I think I'd found a funny picture in a newspaper.

And then their brief time on the breakfast show... the only word that really sums that up is "Legendary". Pixie dancing...

And then to the afternoon show - sadly at a time when I've never been able to listen on a regular basis, due to being at work. Favourite part of that one? Probably Lard's vinyl record collection. Old songs that skip all over the place in such a way so that the songs are much more offensive and funny than the original artists intended them to be. The final show today - hopefully I'll be able to listen to it on the train if the reception holds up. Nicely, I'll be reaching Manchester where the show is based, just as they finish broadcasting. I'm expecting crowds on the street.

And of course it's not only their radio show they'll be remebered for. They formed an amazing band, The Shirehorses and released two great albums - "The worst album in the world...ever...EVER!" and "Our Kid Eh". Both far too funny. Lard used to be in The Fall - an interesting and useless fact. I'd write more, but really to need to go and get that train soon.

I'll miss you guys.

No comments: