Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Dance 'til it hurts...

I bought myself a dance mat on Friday, the electronic kind that you plug into a games console. I've wanted one for ages, but so far there hadn't been one released for the Xbox. Loads of dancin' games out for the PS2, but I'm not having one of them ugly boxes under my telly (mainly cos I've run out of room what with all the other boxes under there). So this is the first chance I've had to get my hands (and feet) on one. I had a go in a bowling alley a couple of years ago. What I learnt then was: Take off your big wooly jumper before dancing. And also: Dancing games are fun, and probably more fun if nobody can see you, at least until you get good at it.

The one I have actually has some decent tunes on it too, as well as a load of dancey nonsense. Tunes by Blondie, The Inspiral Carpets, The Libertines and The Wonderstuff amongst others. Which just adds to the fun.

What I hadn't realised is how hot and sweaty they make you. It's like doing proper exercise. And I'm enjoying it. Today I did about 35mins between getting up and having a shower, and the same again after work. I think I've gone weird. Early morning exercising is not me. Pressing the snooze button four or five times, now that's me. I'm getting quite achy too (yes, I know - it's from the exercise). Although not as achy now as I was at first. My scores are definitely improving. Couldn't get to the end of a song at first, but now I have a load of 'A' grades. And I can get through some of the songs on the intermediate difficulty level too. I think the hard level is just in there as a joke.

How long will this enthusiasm for dancing last? Who can tell... I say one thing here and now - to paraphrase Mr T, I ain't getting in no gym.

No comments: