Tuesday, March 16, 2004

Actuary Spleen

I was bored this evening, danced out, so here is a third post. Like I said I was bored, so I started Googlewhacking, trying to find one with the words actuary or actuarial in. I failed again. But whilst trying "actuary spleen" (yes, I know I'd be better off trying longer words - but I could have gotten lucky!) I did stumble onto an interesting website. It is the website of one Matthew Edwards, a chap who once tutored me in the arcane art of actuarial exam D2. He wore a hat, I passed first time, job well done Sir.

Mr Edwards is also the editor of the magazine "The Actuary". Believe it or not, that is the magazine of the UK actuarial profession. And regular readers of said magazine will be aware of his love of words. So with that I point you to Here, where he does amusing things with certain works of literature and a "Dear Appointed Actuary" letter using an N+7 transformation. Really. Better than it sounds. Elsewhere on the site you can find the complete text of a novel he's written, "Archibald and the Killer Daffodils". To whet your appetite, here are some of the chapter titles: "Put that hamster down, or it'll be the last hamster you ever stroke!", "... it had been some time since he had last brought forty-five Chinese girls to orgasm ..." and "Would his curvaceous falsies be up to the pressure?". I promise I am not making this up.

No comments: