Sunday, January 04, 2004

Top 20 tunes, 2003

Each Christmas for the last million years or so, Mr John Peel has compiled a list of the best 50 songs to be released in the year. It's called "John Peel's Festive 50". I also do a similar thing, but 50 has always seemed a bit ambitious, and I tend to leave it until after Christmas so that it is not as festive. I call mine "Top 20 Tunes, 2003" and here it is (in standard suspense building reverse order):

Top 20 Tunes, 2003
20. Jet – Are you gonna be my girl?
19. Ooberman – Dreams in the air
18. The Grim Northern Social – Honey
17. Ben and Jason – When to laugh
16. The Crimea – Baby boom
15. Stellastarr* - Somewhere across forever
14. Ryan Adams – Wonderwall
13. Cosmic Rough Riders – Life in wartime
12. Blur – Out of time
11. Buffseeds – Sparkle Me
10. Delays - Nearer than heaven
09. Belle and Sebastian – I’m a cuckoo
08. Keane – This is the last time
07. The Bandits – Once upon a time
06. The Vessels – Look for me first in any crowded room
05. The Sleepy Jackson - Rain Falls for wind
04. Mew – 156
03. Franz Ferdinand – Darts of Pleasure
02. Snow Patrol – Run
01. The Crimea - White Russian Galaxy

I have exactly 1 song in common with Mr Peel: My 16 is the same as his 8. Frankly I think my list is better - a lot of the songs on his list are rubbish, whereas every single one of mine is Super-Fantastique (to quote no 3). I can also fit all mine onto a single CD - I bet you can't fit your list onto one CD, John!

Unfortunately, I later realised I had missed off a couple of songs I wanted to include (and therefore maybe included two I didn't want to?). For posterity, they are "First Day" by The Futureheads and "The First Word is the Hardest" by Four Day Hombre. Sorry guys! It is possible that both these songs may turn up on albums this year, so they could still make it to the chart of 2004. Only one of these two is on JP's list.

As far as I am aware, none of the songs above are written by actuaries, are about actuaries or are designed to specifically appeal to actuaries.

No comments: