Saturday, January 10, 2004

The hills are alive...

Today I have been out into the Yorkshire Dales. Or possibly the Yorkshire Moors. Not sure which, I should have asked someone. Anyway, it was where the TV series "Heartbeat", (which starred Nick Berry for the first seven series) was filmed. They sell all sorts of memorabilia about the show there, none of which I was tempted to buy. Which in retrospect was lucky, as I barely had enough cash to pay for lunch. There was an interesting looking video about a dog called Will, but I forget the exact title. It looked like it may have been in the shop window for about 30 years. All faded from the sun.

The place itself is called Goathland, but I didn't see a single goat. Lots and lots of sheep, but not a single goat. Quite disappointing. I did get to cross a ford though. It cleaned my boots up nicely.

Whilst walking we had a lot of fun all singing "one man went to mow". We got up to 36 men before stopping. I'm not sure if this is a world record, but it is certainly a personal best.

Quite tired now. Mistakenly climbing an old abandoned waterfall probably contributed to this. I have had an hour’s lie down this afternoon, and don’t have to do anything tomorrow so I can have a nice long lie in. It’s going to be wonderful.

No comments: