Saturday, May 01, 2004

Selwyn comes to York

So last night was the first annual North of England alumni event of Selwyn College Cambridge. Designed to improve relationships with those of us in the North who are too lazy to attend events in Cambridge itself. I should add here that Selwyn is the place where 10 years ago I commenced my study of mathematics. I was expecting to be one of the youngest people there, as these things tend to traditionally attract old people, but what I hadn't twigged was that because Selwyn used to be a heavily theological college, a lot of the old people are vicars. What a fun way to spend an evening!

First up was Evensong at York Minster. I haven't been to church since my sister's wedding over a year ago, and have never been to an Evensong before. It's interesting to see what the mad catholics get up to for fun. The choir was the controversial girls choir - controversial as all the songs and prayers were originally written for boys voices, and some people still maintain that they should only be sung only by boys. I think the girls one has only been in existence for a couple of years. They sounded fine to me anyway. Not sure I'd recommend Evensong as a fun thing to do at 5pm on a Friday night, but it was interesting.

Then on to a guided tour of the Minster (the only non-free part of the evening). I've walked round the Minster several times in the past, but never with a guide before. It's good to hear the stories and history that they can tell you. The main part of the building is around 800 years old. It occurred to me that most Americans, Australians, Canadians and who-not will never have been in a building anywhere near as old as that - whilst I do it quite regularly. I even know people from back in College who have lived in really old buildings. The tour lasted for around an hour, so I was getting a bit bored towards the end... ready for some wine. Which was handy, as afterwards it was over the road to St William's College for...

...A drinks reception. On entry, we were all given a name badge with our names, year of matriculation and subject on it. Also, they handed out a sheet of paper with a list of all the people attending. I quickly scanned down to see if there was anyone I knew (or wanted to avoid). Just one person from my year, but it was somebody who I had used to get on with ok. There were around 6 of us who were under 30, so we all kind of hung around together and chatted. It turns out that T, the guy from my year, has been stalking me since we left college. One of the first things he said to me (after hello) was "I shop in the same supermarket as you do". Oh! That's... nice. In addition he lived in Norwich for most of the time I did, and now cycles past my flat on a regular basis (though to be fair, he didn't know that until yesterday). Hopefully I'll see him again for a drink at some point in the future, if he can get away from his two kids!

After a bit it was time for dinner. A very pleasant Moroccan spiced lamb dish with cous-cous. No seating plan, so we were free to sit wherever we wanted. My table contained two vicars - one old and one young, both very affable. Wine of both colours was free-flowing and seemed to be available in as much quantities as we desired. Then after dinner us youngsters managed to persuade the Master to take us back to the hotel where him and some of the Fellows were staying, for some late-night drinks. On the condition that we carried the display equipment for them... Gets a bit hazy then and I've no idea what time I left the hotel.

So overall, it was a pretty good evening, and I'll try and go again next year, wherever it may be. Hello to everyone I talked to, and a big thank you to The Master for having the event.

No comments: