Friday, May 21, 2004

Bad computer

I am not a happy bunny. And it's not the usual girl rubbish.

My lovely laptop has entered a comatose state. It won't start up and let me do things, and the limited diagnostics I have been able to perform gives me the impression that it may be the hard drive that has gone. If so, that would be the second one in 2 years. Last time it was an utter pain in the ass as I had only a total minimum of stuff backed up. This time, clearly I have learnt my lesson and so will have performed regular backups? Don't be daft. I nearly bought a second hard drive earlier this year, but ended up buying the laptop instead. And then because networking the mac to the PC proved very fiddly and intermittent, I never really bothered backing stuff up to the PC.

So potentially I may have lost a load of irreplaceable stuff. Again. Photos, writings, tunes, spreadsheets, and things that I won't realise I've lost for a while. At least I should be able to rip the tunes back off the iPod once I'm up and running again. But most of the other stuff will be gone.

So until I manage to get things fixed, I'm stuck back on the PC. Maybe I'll be lucky and it won't be the hard drive after all.

I am going to go and flagellate myself for being an idiot.

4 comments:

Chip said...

When you turn it on, immediately after the "Mac sound", hold down Apple + Alt + O + F. This boots you into the equivalent of the BIOS, where you should be able to see if anything's wrong. Failing that, I think I have a CD you can boot off to do some diagnostics.

Lint said...

That might be useful if I knew what to do once in the BIOS thing!

I have tried using the install/restore disc I have, but when it gets to the bit where it would attempt to install/fix Mac OSX, it fails to find the hard drive.

Bertworld said...

Dont worry word seems to have stopped working on my pc and yet there are no viruses. I have at least backed up my piccies after all the problems I previously had with viruses (computer ones) and ended up needing to buy a new cd writer!

Chip said...

Some useful Open Firmware sites :

Apple Reference SiteQuick Reference GuideTo boot that CD I gave you, hold down C as you turn the PC on. Once you get to a command prompt, try the following command "ls -la /dev/hd*". If this list contains anything at all, some of your hard drive contents may be recoverable.