Friday, May 07, 2004

Dose me up, once is not enough

Somebody said something to me earlier me this week. Yes, I was having a "conversation". And the thought that it made me think was: How do you know that you have got over somebody? (And what does that even mean?)

Is the point at which you are "over" somebody when:
- You stop crying?
- You stop thinking about them constantly?
- You stop dreaming about them every night?
- You can think about them without crying?
- You look to the future not the past?
- You forget their birthday?
- You forget their name?
- You stand over their corpse with a bloody knife in your hand, humming songs by The Smiths?

I think perhaps none of the above (though the last one is certainly quite final). You know when you're over them, when you're ready to move on.
Or maybe before.
Or even after.
Or you just know.

And there is generally not even a particular time that can be pinpointed. Show me someone who says "I got over X at twenty past three on Tuesday the 27th November" and I'll show you a liar. A liar that owns a watch, true, but one of the "people who've not drank truth serum" nonetheless.

And maybe sometimes you never really are over someone, but there comes a point where it doesn't matter anymore. Sometimes love dies, sometimes it was never really there. Sometimes it fades exponentially. And it's possible that someone can come along and rewrite your mental pathways, make you spanky new, joyed up and ready to rock.

The past is by definition, "over". Gone. It ain't coming back. If it did, you probably wouldn't like it anymore anyway. The metaphorical tomorrow is gonna be great, and you're all invited*

*Not you

No comments: