Saturday, May 22, 2004

More computer woes.

I spent an hour on the phone to Apple this morning before heading out to work. And after trying lots of things, the bloke on the phone came to the same conclusion as me: the hard drive is broken. Probably could have saved both of us a lot of time if he'd just let me tell him that in the first place. So now the laptop is going to be picked up and taken away from me early next week, and will hopefully come back all fixed.

Things aren't quite as bad as they looked yesterday though. A friend gave me a Linux boot-up disk, and weirdly I managed to get this to temporarily fix the machine - I was able to boot it up and access the hard drive fine! First thing I did was back-up all the important stuff. Thankfully I was able to do this. So I should no longer be suffering any major data loss, though there are bound to be some things I forgot to move.

So I thought for a while that it was fixed. Sadly that wasn't the case, and it is now back in it's useless state. And the trick with the Linux disk didn't work a second time. So I shall stick to plan A and let the trained people sort it out. Hopefully they won't need to swap the hard disk for a new one...

No comments: