Monday, January 10, 2005

Tips for filling in a job application form

I was looking through some graduate CVs today at work, to determine which ones we wanted to invite to interview. I can't really go into specific details, but if you are a graduate, here are 10 general tips if you're writing a CV or filling in an application form:

1. The word "simply" never has an "x" in it. Ever. Similarly, if you have done a mathematics degree, you really should learn to spell "mathematics".

2. It is not impressive if the email address you give is something like butterflyofdelight@yahoo.com or i_am_an_evil_demon24@hotmail.com. This just makes you look silly. It's not as if it's hard to set up a new one.

3. If you are planning to claim that your greatest achievement is having managed to leave your home town of Preston, or Swindon, or Scunthorpe or wherever else, I suggest you thing of a better achievement. Lie if you have to.

4. When filling in the section on previous jobs, I really don't give a s**t about a job you had 6 years ago for four days. Even if you were Prime Minister.

5. If English is not your first language, it's ok to get someone else to check over what you've written. Really, it is. Then you'll avoid sentences like "I really like company yes. I am most suitable for position because I suit the skills need. My experience is back not from the previous jobs - I don't know the jelly!". Having said that, a lot of the applicants who don't have English as a first language are able to write much more coherently than some of those who do.

6. If you are planning to use a sentence such as "I have excellent communication skills.", then it looks really, really stupid if you have a spelling or grammatical error in that sentence. I know I sometimes make mistakes, but I already have a job.

7. If you are applying for a job as an actuary, LEARN HOW TO USE THE WORD "ACTUARY". It is not correct to state that you are "looking for a job in actuary", or you "want to be actuary". This is pretty basic, and really makes you look like you have done NO research if you get it wrong.

8. If you're going to list the areas covered by your degree, please do not go into detail. You're wasting your time and you're wasting my time. I do not need to know your entire lecture schedule and the marks you've had for every assignment.

9. Pretend on your application form that you are a young, single, female, whether you are or not. Even if you are a 40 year old fat man, just pretend. It won't actually improve your chances though. It's just funny.

10. Apply for a job with us about seven or eight years ago. It was much easier to get in then. Trust me on this one.

I'm doing this to help you. Read and Learn. And be grateful it's all done electronically so I don't have to see your no doubt ludicrous handwriting.

Smiles, everyone.

2 comments:

Bertworld said...

Bet it wouldn't surpise you to hear that I spelt actuarial and business incorrectly on my application. This was in the days of paper only forms and i ahd the last ones at the careers office, and the closing date was the next day, so little choice but to send it in. Still can't believe they gave me a job, especially as they only took 3 on that year.
p.s. wish i could post this anonymously.

Lint said...

A couple of other words you could learn... Surprised + Had :-)