Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Amsterdam

Perhaps around ten years ago there was a band called Pele, who had quite a few great songs - Megalomaina and Fat Black Heart spring to mind. Then they went away, I got older and they were consigned to the dustbin of rock history.

Last year (or maybe the one before?), I was listening to the late, lamented, John Peel and he played a fantastic track from a band called Amsterdam called Does this train stop on Merseyside. Upon investigating this band, it transpired that their lead singer was none other than the chap who used to be the singer in Pele. Cool! thinks I.

So some more time passes, and eventually Amsterdam (from Liverpool rather than Dutchland) come here to York to play Fibbers. And they're great. Upbeat poppy-rock songs and a small but enthusiastic crowd. When they played the song I remembered from Peel (which they dedicated to the man himself), it near brought tears to my eyes, as I had forgotten where it was I'd originally heard the band.

A strange thing: Of all the songs they played tonight, by far the weakest seemed to be their first proper single that's out on Monday. Go figure.

A decent night then. Though the first band on were perhaps one of the worst bands I've ever seen.

I believe Amsterdam are playing in Glasgow tomorrow (Thursday) night. If any of you happen to be in the area then why not risk a couple of quid and check them out? You might just have a good time.

1 comment:

Bertworld said...

would have loved to go to Amerstdam, but been globe trotting and just arrived home - shattered.
ps. you cant count places as having visited them if they are a band!