Thursday, January 20, 2005

A dull post about shopping

If you spoke to me this evening, then you may have heard most of this before. Sorry, but to some extent that's unavoidable. I'll try and spice it up with some jokes.

Online supermarket shopping is on the whole great. You don't have to leave the house (great if you have no legs) and they always pack things in lots more plastic bags than you would yourself, which means that you end up in no danger of not having spare bags to put your rubbish in. Today I was using Sainsbury's. Let's see if I liked them or not.

They were supposed to deliver to me between the hours of seven pm and eight pm. If they are outside that time, I get a ten pound voucher to use on my next shop. At around six thirty, a nice man phoned me up to tell me that the van with my order in had packed up, broken and kaputted somewhere on a road. So they were unlikely to be on time. A bit annoying this, as the order contained my dinner for the evening and I was hungry. But at least they'd let me know what was going on.

Are you bored of this yet?

As it got towards nine, I was getting more hungry so decided to do something which I don't do often which is order from Dominos on the internet (just like doing it on the phone, but you don't need to dig out a menu and speak to a real person). They were doing any pizza, any size, £9.99. This of course means you have to order the largest possible size (which is called "large"). Even if you're on your own and don't want a large one. So I ordered a large one. The flavour is unimportant to this story.

As a small aside, they now let you pay online too, with a credit card. This is a bad thing because it means you can order pizza even if you have no cash in the house. The only excuse I sometimes have for not ordering in pizza is taken away from me. End of aside.

So I onlined in my order, and it arrived a bit later. I ate a good proportion of it, but not all of it, and felt a bit full. Darn large pizzas. Then eventually my shopping arrived too. And I got my ten pound voucher.

So, since I was not planning on going out tonight, essentially what has happened is thst Mr Sainsbury has delivered my shopping to me at my flat and bought me a free large pizza for my tea to boot. Plus I got lots of new plastic bags. It is hard to feel too let down by this.

Since we're back on the subject of plastic bags - I had one bag this evening which contained one pint of milk and nothing else. That is not efficient packing.

That is all I have to say about this exciting online shopping story. I hope you've enjoyed it. I think I forgot the jokes I promised. Sorry. Please call again.

1 comment:

asyl076 said...

Best phrase:

"that is not efficient packing"