Sunday, April 18, 2004

Vroom, vroom, vroooooooom

I went go-karting for the first time in about 5 years yesterday, for a friend's birthday. And now I have several big bruises. I'd forgotten how physical it can be (and I'm not entirely sure why it is, as basically you are just sitting down moving your feet and hands a bit). The karts have a top speed of 50 mph, though can't actually get much past 40mph on the circuit we were using. That still feels scarily fast when you are only inches from the ground.

Once I worked out that I could get round the circuit only using the brakes on one corner, I started to get some pretty decent lap times. The overall lap record there is about 19.5 seconds - I think the best one of us got about 20.5, and my best was just under 22s, not too bad. The team came third out of six, and we got little bronze medals to take home. I'd be lying if I said I was wearing it now. So I won't say it.

It'd be a lot of fun to have a real go-kart that could be taken out on the real roads - It'd be soooo cool to turn up to work in one. Everyone would be really jealous! Especially any 8 year old boys who happened to be around.

Final word: Crash helmets can make a right old mess of your hair.

No comments: