Saturday, April 10, 2004

A review of a gig what I went to last night (8)

Note to self: Stay off the Belgian beer before going to gigs. That stuff is strong. So this will be not so much a review, more it will be hazy recollections. Sorry, I think that was bad grammar.

I caught the end of the support act, Chris Helme. He used to be the lead singer in The Seahorses. Not a band that ever did a huge amount, or one that I liked particulary. They did however give the world one great thing: they were the inspiration behind the name of The Shirehorses, and also inspired one of the best 'Horses songs, "(Now) I know (Where I'm going) our kid". It owes a certain debt to the Seahorses song "Love is the law". Budley Salterton?

So. Then onto Jonathan Richman. I don't really know his music very well, but there were a lot of people there who did. For most of you out there, he will be most well known for being the guy who did the singing in "There's Something About Mary". He's been around since the 70s. I think he was pretty good. Helluva review! A brief note of thanks/recognition/hellos to the couple I was chatting to in the quieter parts of the evening - I believe they were named Scott & Tom (who was a girl).

At York Fibbers last night were at least: 1 Actuary. Just me. Again. This gives an AR(SE) factor of 1. Mr Richman joins The Open at the bottom of the league. Here's the updated table:

3.5: Easyworld / Snow Patrol 1 / Graham Coxon
2.5 Four Day Hombre / Snow Patrol 2
2.0: Delays / Athlete
1.0: The Open / Jonathan Richman

Next up Keane on the 24th.

No comments: