Thursday, April 15, 2004

Don't tell me what I should have done, Gary

This is kind of a follow up to last Wednesday's post on Jay-Z, which some people thought was a little negative. On the first Snow Patrol album there is a song called "One Hundred Things You Should Have Done In Bed". Should? I can go better than that. Here are 100 things I have done in bed:

1. Turned a bedside light on and off again.
2. Cuddled a teddy bear. Teddy bears are nice.
3. Dreamt about things that are not real.
4. Spoken to my parents on the phone.
5. Scratched myself, using my hands.
6. Thought that perhaps it's time to change the sheets.
7. Worn pyjamas.
8. Tickled a girl's feet.
9. Imagined that there was someone else in the room with me.
10. Touched some keys that were on the bedside table.
11. Warmed somebody's feet.
12. Listened to the radio.
13. Held my breath.
14. Opened a drawer and removed an item from it. Often this is a book.
15. Operated a remote control for a stereo system.
16. Wished I was in the top bunk.
17. Jumped up and down.
18. Woken in the night and realised that I had forgotten to turn on the sleep function on the stereo.
19. Assembled a small Lego model of the Millennium Falcon
20. Spoken a foreign language.
21. Drank tea. And coffee. But not from the same mug.
22. Been totally naked.
23. Spilt tea. And Coffee. But not whilst naked. That could burn bad...
24. Eaten Muesli.
25. Spoken to a friend on the phone who was still in the pub.
26. Held a hot water bottle really tightly.
27. Waited for a while.
28. Been very very drunk.
29. Watched an episode of Buffy.
30. Woken up and realised that I'm late for work because I forgot to set the alarm.
31. Coughed and sneezed.
32. Read a magazine.
33. Opened a "packet of three".
34. Intentionally lain on my arm until it went completely numb.
35. Attempted to mark an exam paper. I don't recommend this - a desk is more appropriate.
36. Had some kind of stomach bug.
37. Been in a Youth Hostel.
38. Been nagged for still being in bed when I have important things to do.
39. Written a Blog Entry.
40. Watched as the roof span round and round and round.
41. Played computer games on a Gameboy.
42. Shouted for my mother (I was a lot younger - she lives too far away for this to be much use now).
43. That special thing that boys and girls who love each other very much do.
44. Seen in the millennium. Bed was probably not the best place to be at the time.
45. Felt very alone.
46. Actually been very alone.
47. Read a book.
48. Set the time on a bedside clock. Also sometimes I've set alarms.
49. Talked to someone else sharing the bed with me.
50. Opened the post. It was a bill.
51. Cried.
52. Laughed.
53. Heard the sound of a train.
54. Watched "Neighbours" on TV.
55. Taken a drink of water containing Alka-Seltzer.
56. Opened birthday cards and presents.
57. Drank wine.
58. Been very confused at where the bedroom door was upon waking.
59. Pressed the snooze button on my alarm clock several times.
60. Blown my nose.
61. Woken up in the middle of the night and written something down.
62. Wished I was in a double bed rather than a single one. Especially when not alone.
63. Discussed work colleagues.
64. Sweated.
65. Been very cold.
66. Sang a song.
67. Had a bad hangover.
68. Woken in the morning and found money where a tooth used to be (under the pillow, not in my mouth).
69. Breathed in.... and out again.
70. Had happy thoughts.
71. Sent a text message to a friend.
72. Watched an episode of Angel
73. Eaten biscuits (with chocolate chips in).
74. Complained about other people eating biscuits in bed and making crumbs.
75. Worried about impending exams - not for a few years though :-)
76. Wanted the night to never end.
77. Read my bank statement.
78. Ignored the bedder at university whilst she was cleaning my room.
79. Written item no 66. on this list.
80. Surfed the internet, aimlessly.
81. Passed wind (heh heh).
82. Looked at photos.
83. Watched a film on VHS.
84. Been in Bristol at the same time as being in bed!
85. Noticed strange patterns on the ceiling.
86. Removed items of somebody else's clothing (from them, not from me).
87. Uttered a bad word.
88. Entered phone numbers into the storage facility of a cordless phone.
89. Drank Beer.
90. Wished really hard that "The Archers" would finish soon.
91. Waited for a text message from a girl which never came.
92. Had a great idea. And forgotten it by morning.
93. The Rubick's Cube.
94. Said the phrase "white rabbits" in order to garner good luck at the start of a month.
95. Internet Banking.
96. Spoken to somebody in the hotel reception
97. Been really depressed.
98. Done some mathematics.
99. Been unable to decide exactly how many pillows I actually wanted to put my head on. One or two?
100. Slept (perchance to dream?)

So, Gary from Snow Patrol. You've told me what I should have done in bed - but how many things have you actually done?

No comments: