Sunday, April 25, 2004

A review of a gig what I went to last night (9)

Last night I went to Leeds to see Keane play. I semi-accidentally saw them in York last year. I'd been heading over to Leeds with Chip and Welsh Dave to see The Thrills. Sadly, the car died halfway there, and we had to wait around for a bit for a tow-man to take us back to York. By the time we got back, it was too late to attempt to get to Leeds via a train, so I went off to Fibbers where (the then pretty much unknown) Keane were on. And they were excellent - no guitars or bass, just vocals, drums and a load of piano/keyboards.

But that was last year... I'm here to talk about last night. Got there in plenty of time, had a pint in the bar, got over the slight confusion caused by them having moved the main entrance. First on, was a solo acoustic guitar guy, Stephen Fretwell. Pretty good. Not really doing anything new or unique, but if you like that sort of thing, as I do, it was an excellent start.

It was however getting pretty hot by this point. I think yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far, and certainly very warm for an April in the north of England - It stayed warm into the evening, so in a sold out venue with 500-600 people (just a guess - I'm rubbish at estimating crowd sizes) it was getting pretty hot and sweaty. Second band on were Bell X1. Didn't know them, but thought they were really good. [I don't know why I bother with these reviews - they are hardly incisive. Not sure that this quality of music journalism would have got me a job with the NME]. Went out and bought their album this morning, which I'm listening to now as I write this and am rather enjoying.

And Keane were probably better than last time - although singer Tom seems to be doing the pop-star thing a bit much. I don't think he quite shouted "Hello Leeds" at any point, but he looked like he might want to. To some extent it's a bit of a shame when bands start doing well and start playing the bigger venues, not so much because of the loss of intimacy, more that they start to attract beered-up stupid F**kw*d men who either shout nonsense, attempt to fall over or just generally act like tw*ts. Special mention in this category goes to the fat, drunk idiot stood just in front of me. Bearing in mind how hot it was, what makes you think we want to smell your armpits every few minutes? Just piss off back to your hole. Anyway, Keane were good. But I'm glad they didn't play for longer - I really needed some fresh air and a breeze by the end.

At Leets Met University last night were at least: 3 Actuaries and one trainee: AR(SE) factor of 3.5. This'll put Keane at the joint top of the table, I'll publish that tomorrow after The Ordinary Boys tonight.

No comments: