Monday, April 25, 2005

Un-Americanising Gmail

In a fit of boredom recently I decided to change the language of my Gmail interface. Nothing fancy, mind. I changed it from English to English (UK). Mainly on the basis that American English should be shunned at all times. Actually the main thing that annoys me is the incezzant uze of z's in words that shouldn't have a z in. Like realize. And don't get me started on "color". Or... No, stop. I'm not hear to yank-rant tonight. So what happened after I changed the language? Nothing!

Or at least I thought it was nothing. A few days later I wanted to delete a message. Normally this is easy. Go to the drop down menu, select "Move to Trash" and Bob's your uncle. Message gone. But when I tried to do this, the option wasn't there! Arggghhhh! It took me nearly a minute to work out that there was now a new option instead - "Move to Deleted Items". This (not too suprisingly) had the desired effect. But for a while I just couldn't see this choice. I was so hard-wired to look for "trash" that I was blind to everything else.

It perhaps sounds like there should be a life lesson at this point. Something like "When you are always looking for what you want, you may not see what it is you actually need.". Something like that. But there isn't. All there is is the following warning:

If you switch Gmail to English (UK), Trash becomes deleted items. I have so far not spotted any other changes at all... Maybe the spellcheck is UK'ised? Anyone know?

1 comment:

Agent 31 said...

That's it. I'm switching my Gmail to UK. It's time I learned proper English anyway. I'm an adult.

Also, I must start pronouncing the letter "z" as "zed" instead of "zee."

Yay!! Growth!!