Friday, April 22, 2005

Election Problems

There's a general election coming up at the start of next month, where for only the third time in my life I will have the opportunity to contribute to the selection of the group that will govern our country for the next few years. I can't actually remember how I voted (or even if I did!) the last two times. Maybe I should have written it down.

Because I'm far too lazy to actually attend a polling station, I will be using a postal vote - a fantastic innovation where I get several days, or even weeks to ponder the selection of boxes that I'll tick. I honestly haven't yet decided which way I'm going to go this time - I am a Floating Voter. Currently my views of the main parties are as follows:

Labour: Scum. No moral principles, but they haven't cocked too much up too badly over the last eight years (with the possible exception of the odd war here and there). And they do have an MP who punched a member of the public at the last election which should definitely earn them extra points on any sane scale.

Conservatives: Scum. They did ok for a long time, or possibly I was just too young to notice and understand the things that weren't so good. Then Labour came along and nothing much changed except that the Tories seemed to go a bit bonkers, and started to elect truly awful leaders, something which they still keep on doing.

Lib Dem: Scum. The main purpose of the Lib Dems is that they are a party which isn't Labour or The Conservatives. I don't think they, or their supporters, have any other point.

Other Parties: A mixture of scum, racist scum, totally deluded scum and madmen.

But I'm open to have my mind altered on any of these points, so feel free to try. And maybe I'll try and make a decision. Ah, democracy.

In an effort to have my mind made up for me, I took an online quiz. I don't normally paste the results of those things on here, but it seems relevant to this discussion so here are the results:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Who Should You Vote For?

Your actual outcome:



Labour 9
Conservative -14
Liberal Democrat 14
UK Independence Party -8
Green 4

You should vote: Liberal Democrat

The LibDems take a strong stand against tax cuts and a strong one in favour of public services: they would make long-term residential care for the elderly free across the UK, and scrap university tuition fees. They are in favour of a ban on smoking in public places, but would relax laws on cannabis. They propose to change vehicle taxation to be based on usage rather than ownership.

Take the test at Who Should You Vote For

--------------------------------------------------------------

Bloody typical. But online tests never lie!

No comments: