Wednesday, April 06, 2005

And the tourists keep on climbing

When I was holidaying in York, I climbed a high place because all tourist cities have a high place to climb. Copenhagen was no different. It has a tower, just up the road from the Erotic Museum:

The Rundetarn

This is not a normal tourist tower because it's a tower that you could quite literally drive a medium sized car up to the top of (*). I didn't have a car so I had to walk. The inside of the tower comprises almost entirely of a wide spiral ramp. There are no rooms, no offices, no coffee shops - just a ramp. There is a large exhibition room halfway up, but that's not in the tower itself. I'm not sure what exhibition was on because I didn't emter the room. It didn't look very exciting. The spiral ramp's pretty cool though.

From the top you could take one of those panorama type full 360 degree pictures by taking several photos and sticking them side by side. I didn't quite do that:

View from the Rundetarn (1) View from the Rundetarn (2) View from the Rundetarn (3)

The city is quite flat, and it was hard to make out many landmarks since I was unfamiliar with the place. There are lots of churches, but one church tends to look much like another. Square building, pointy bit on top. That sort of thing.

Nice blue skies though.

(*) As long as you could get it through the turnstile at the bottom...

No comments: