Monday, April 11, 2005

Challenge #10: SOBER - Complete!

Well, almost by accident I find myself at the end of a seven day period where I have not imbibed any alcohol whatsover. It feels dirty and wrong.

The middle three days of last week were one of those middle of weeks where there just isn't much on. I nearly went out for a drink with a friend on Thursday but he had to go running instead. So I went home and ordered too much pizza which I then attempted to eat. This was a mistake as I then felt a bit ill the next day. I was also fairly busy at work on the Friday, and didn't really feel like going out in the evening. So I didn't.

And then the weekend again was fairly quiet. By this time I'd realised I had a good run at my seven day target and so avoided any alcohol. I didn't attempt to go out on Saturday night, I didn't open any bottles of wine and I even decided against having the nice bottle of ginger beer that was in my fridge.

So then that just left tonight, Monday night, normally a night for going down the Swan for some quiz. But tonight... no. I have stayed in and finished my (test batch of) marking. Good me.

So another challenge bites the dust, and for the first time I find myself having completed challenges at a faster rate than the year has been having months.

I'm not sure that this being sober thing is that great though. Sure, I maybe got up earlier on Saturday than I would have done, but I just ended up using the time to play computer games. My social life has pretty much been non-existent for the past week, and I've still felt tired, had the occasional headache and found no noticeable improvement in my concentrational abilities. I wonder how long you have to be sober to start feeling any better than normal?

On the plus side, I've... I've... I've still got a nice bottle of ginger beer to look forward to. It wouldn't be there if I'd drunk it at the weekend!

2 comments:

Bertworld said...

I think you need to give up for a few weeks to feel that much better, and maybe use the extra time to get fresh air rather than play computer games!
And just becuase you don't drink doesnt mean you dont have to go out. That must surely be the next challenge, 1 week out every night and not drinking! Yous hould try Chips thing of getting more and more sarcastic as the night goes on and see what you can get away with!

Lint said...

I did actually make an effort to get some fresh air at the weekend - I went out for a walk for No Good Reason!

I passed a corner shop whilst out and bought some lemon and kiwi fruit Tango. It was not bad.