Monday, April 04, 2005

Some thoughts on modern aviation

It's about two and a half years since I last travelled by plane, and a couple of (what to me were) innovations quite impressed me. It's quite possible that these have been around for a long time, but bear with me.

No. 1: The out-going plane had a little TV camera in its nose. This relayed pictures to the in-plane TV sets so you could see the plane taxiing to the runway and then taking off. Once in the air, it switches to a view from below the plane so you can see what you're flying over. This is pretty cool unless you get confused as to which view they're showing at a particular time and convince yourself that the plane is flying directly towards the ground. It then switches back to the front view for landing.

No. 2: I could check in using an electronic self-service terminal. No queues, no talking to people, just insert credit card and press a few buttons. Saves loads of time, especially if you don't have any baggage to check in. You can even choose your own seat! Admittedly, my seat ended up not being the one I chose because the actual plane was smaller than the one I chose from in the machine, but it's good in principle.

There's still too much waiting around in plane travel though. At least Copenhagen airport had a very pleasant quiet zone with some big recliners and a great view of the airfield.

No comments: