Thursday, April 28, 2005

CARVE 'ARTHUR DENT' ON TOMBSTONE

Since today was my last day but one in my current job, I was out after work for some drinks with the (old) team. Since everyone that was able to come out was old and married and sprogged, they couldn't stay long which left me at a loose end at around seven o'clock. But all was not lost.

ENJOY POETRY

We were drinking at a bar by the cinema. And today... H2G2 was out! So I grabbed a ticket and (after a slight stochastic diversion - best not to ask) I sat in my allotted seat and awaited the film.

EAT ANALGESIC

First thing: There were no adverts! And there were no trailers! This confused me a little. Is it because it was a preview? Plus points of this: I get to go to bed an hour earlier.

LOOK. SMELL. LISTEN. TOUCH.

Second thing: The film is great! If I can use an oft used analogy: It was like meeting up with an ex-girlfriend that I'd not seen for years. Not sure whether we'd still get on or whether I'd even still like her. But it turns out that we do get on, and she's got some new stories to tell me and she's brought a friend along who's really quite fanciable (Trillian: she's great).

PUT MAIL ON SATCHEL

Having grown up with the thing (that my aunt gave me) in all it's incarnations, there was a lot that was familiar. Much was word for word from other versions. Some was a mite altered. Other was brand spanking new. All felt right. I could nitpick (Arthur's too short!!!!!) but it's not worth it - what they've done works brilliantly. And I don't want to go into detail, so's to avoid spoiling it, but:

EXAMINE FLUFF

1. Music by The Divine Comedy!
2. Marvin - great! From the photos, I'd thought he was CGI, but no, it's just Warwick Davies in a silly suit! There's even a cameo from old Marvin!
3. Trillian: Mmmmmmmm. And all memories of Sandra Dickinson are safely wiped.
4. The book graphics are fantastic (though Peter Jones is missed).
5. The bit after one of the improbability drive jumps...
6. Much other. Even a bit that made me cry (a little bit).

GIVE AWL TO MARVIN

Overall, it's hard to find fault. Maybe it might be a bit different for those without the familiarity, maybe it wouldn't - I'm not in a position to tell.

DRINK BEER. EAT PEANUTS.

The only thing that now worries me is that now I've failed to be disappointed by H2G2 and I've failed to be disappointed by the new Dr Who, I'm becoming convinced that Star Wars 3 is gonna stink. I hope, hope it doesn't, but...

QUIT

No comments: