Sunday, February 15, 2004

Watch out, the world's behind you

It's nice to actually wake up on a Sunday morning without a hangover. You can get up at a sensible time (ie before 10am) and do lots of things. Like going to Sainsburys. And reading some book. And finally working out how to upgrade the software in my iPod. The trick seems to be to reset the thing, whilst it is plugged into the Mac, and then run the updater. I think the Mac was getting a bit confused as the pod had originally been set up on a PC. Anyway it works now which means I have a better battery icon and a Music Quiz Game. No idea how that works, but I'll find out soon once all the music is copied back over.

Readers with good memories will recall how I mentioned that whilst playing Head Over Heels the other day, it coincidentally came on the radio. It happened again yesterday! This time it came on during Donnie Darko whilst I was playing HOH. It's very strange - I've been playing Chrono Trigger a lot recently and not once has a song with that title been played simultaneously. It's mighty strange. Maybe Pink was right - God is a DJ, and he likes old Speccy games (I think that last bit was in a verse that was cut from the recorded version).

I live close to the National Railway Museum - one of York's premier tourist attractions. Currently it is VERY busy as they have Thomas The Tank Engine (and friends) there. The kids seem to like this for some reason. For the rest of us, it's a very bad time to visit for two reasons: 1) it is very busy (I think I mentioned that already); 2) You have to pay to get in! Normally entry is free, but whilst Thomas is around all visitors must find Seven English Pounds and hand them over to the Nice Lady. That's on top of the slightly extortionate Five Pounds car-parking charge (which applies even when Thomas has gone away to wherever it is that scary blue trains go to). What with the Minster now charging for entry as well, York is a lot more expensive than it used to be.

If I was slightly more entrepreneurial, I might be tempted to go and stand by the road and rent out my own parking space here at the flat for a more reasonable four pounds. I could probably get a couple of different cars in each day, a nice little earner. Although I suspect that I could earn better money by doing my actual job. And then I get to sit in a nice warm office rather than stand out on the street touting for business. I don't do that anymore.

No comments: