Thursday, February 26, 2004

Extreme Noise Terror

I've got hold of GarageBand for the Mac. This is a program which essentially transforms the computer into a complete recording studio, complete with a tonne of ready made loops and instruments should you not have any of your own. I do have some of my own - two guitars, an ocarina and my voice. So now I have the capability to record songs in my own living room/bedroom and inflict them on the world. I haven't had a chance to play around too much yet, but I did manage to lay down a kickin' version of The Drugs Don't Work. Well, maybe not that great really, but it was fun. And I managed to cunningly make it sound like I hadn't had to stop and turn the page halfway through.

Playing around with it has actually made me understand the recording process a bit more - like for example why they always wear those stupid headphones when recording vocals. I first laid down my guitar track (using the guitar) and then when I tried to add a vocal track, I found that the guitar sound gets picked up again as you sing. But: If you play the guitar back through the headphones, you get a much cleaner vocal recording. It also prevents feedback when you turn the monitor (note: not a computer monitor. Or a milk monitor) on. Possibly not a great late night hobby for me though, the neighbours may not enjoy the sound of me as much as I do.

[Incidentally, at school, we had monitors for everything. Milk monitors, computer monitors, door monitors, snogging monitors, minstrel monitors, the list goes on and on. Being a monitor gave you a break from standard school work. Wouldn't be great if we had monitors at work! Every lunchtime for example you could go and be a mail monitor and inspect all the post. Or you could stand by the front door and check everyone had their tie done up properly! Think of all the respect you'd get from your peers.... But I digress]

So now I have the ability to make mp3s of me! And take them anywhere I want on the iPod. This is the most egotistical thing since I worked out how to make the computer read my blog back to me in a daft computer voice (called Bruce). Now next time I have an idea for a song, I can actually bring the dream to fruition! A new target for myself... Christmas no 1: 2004?

No comments: