Sunday, February 08, 2004

Dog Faced Creatures

Any male as old as myself (and possibly some girlies too) will have probably had some kind of home computer when they were a kid - most likely a Spectrum or Commodore of some kind. There were always a few freaks with Amstrads, but they were a minority. I even knew one kid who had an MSX. Poor lamb. One of the best games on the Spectrum was "Head Over Heels". This featured a thing called "Head" (who could jump high and fire doughnuts) and a different looking thing called "Heels" (who could run fast and carry items).

Head and Heels start the game imprisoned somewhere in Space (I think). They soon manage to escape from prison. This isn't actually very hard as there is a teleporter in the corner of each of their cells. Eventually they then meet up and Head can stand on top of Heels (to form Head over Heels) and they can then set out to overthrow four or five evil empires and save the universe. All good clean rollicking fun.

(Nice coincidence - as I write this, a clip of the Tears for Fears song, Head over Heels, is playing on the radio)

Anyway, some nice nerdy guys with time on their hands have written versions of the game for Windows and Mac, and they are great fun. The game is still bleedin' hard, but it is (slightly) more generous with saving games than I remember the original version to be. Everytime you pick up a reincarnation fish you get an extra save game to use. I think all they did in the original was change where you start from when you die (but I can't really remember). So now that it is possible for me to play through the game in more than one sitting, maybe I'll eventually get to the end (15 years is a long time for unfinished business).

The game (and others) is completely free and is available from the retrospec website.

Some good news: I have obtained a crossover cable and my computers are now sufficiently networked for my purposes (though I did have a bit of help).

No comments: