Tuesday, February 01, 2005

The taste of Britain

We seem to have started to do reasonably well at our regular Monday night pub quiz over the last few weeks. Last night, a second place led to me taking home another couple of cans of Carling Black Label. On the side of the can it says that Carling is "The taste of Britain". I think this may be true - if I was to go outside and lick the pavement, I'm sure it would taste of piss, just like the beer.

Only joking. It's a lovely brew.

Only joking again. It's not that nice really.

When I was a kid, myself and my sister both had a small orange glove puppet called Lambchop. I think my father picked them up from somewhere. At the time, I had a vague belief that this may have been a famous puppet from the telly, but I don't recall ever seeing it on telly, or who its human controller was. I think I must have had a vague inkling of the name of the puppeteer though, since when we had the question "What was the name of the puppet operated by Shari Lewis", I instantly wrote down Lambchop.

It's nice that a small silly looking glove puppet finally turned out to have given my life some small benefit. Even if it was only a single point in a pub quiz. Everything happens for a reason! Sometimes it just takes a lot of years to work out what that reason might be.

No comments: